Bournemouth promoted to Premier League after win over Nottingham Forest – The Athletic - Sports Plugg

Breaking

CHOOSE YOUR CHOICE GIFT CARD OFFER TODAY

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Bournemouth promoted to Premier League after win over Nottingham Forest – The Athletic

Bournemouth have been promoted to the Premier League after their 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest.

The south coast side have returned to the top-flight at the second time of asking, having been relegated to the Championship in 2019-20.

It was a disappointing opening 45 minutes for Bournemouth who struggled to find a goal. Forest had the best chance of the half after Sam Surridge fired the ball off the crossbar in the 32nd minute.

It took 83 minutes but Bournemouth finally broke the deadlock. A perfectly executed free-kick allowed Kieffer Moore to slot the ball past goalkeeper Brice Samba.

A late equaliser for Steve Cooper’s side would have taken the fight for second place to the final day of the season but automatic promotion wasn’t meant to be for Forest as Bournemouth held out for the eight minutes of added time.

After the match Moore said: “I’m speechless, when I came here I had one goal and then had the setback straight away, but I had the dream and thankfully it’s come about.

“As soon as I had my surgery my first thought was when can I get back and I want to thank the staff for helping me.

“I’m glad it’s behind me and it’s hard to put into words what it means. I’ve dreamt of this moment as a kid [playing in the Premier League] and thankfully I get to live it.”

Under former manager Jonathan Woodgate, Bournemouth came close to securing promotion last season. Having finished sixth, they faced Brentford in the play-offs. Despite winning the home leg 1-0, Thomas Frank’s side beat Bournemouth 3-1 in the second leg to take them to the final. Brentford ultimately went up at Wembley.

They will join Championship title winners Fulham, who earned promotion on April 19 after their 3-0 win over Preston. They were crowned champions on Monday evening after their 7-0 win over Luton.

(Photo: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)



from WordPress https://ift.tt/TBfpctN
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment